Fearless Forecaster is blaming a blown transformer for his only loss last week.
Canton-Galva was leading Solomon 26-16 in the first half last Friday night when a transformer blew, causing the game to be halted. According to Eagle coach Jeff Savage, his team had the Gorillas on the run with its dizzying offense as Solomon didn’t know how to defend the Eagles’ multi-purpose attack.
But given some preparation time, Solomon made the proper adjustments Saturday afternoon and came back for the 54-50 victory.
That was the only blemish for Fearless, who was 13-1 last week. He is now 37-5 over the last three to boost the season record to 73-20.
The games are much tougher this week as we’re now into full-blown district play and some of the teams are unfamiliar to our picker.
• AVCTL DIVISION III
• McPherson 42, Abilene 35 —The teams ran up and down the field last year and I think it will be more of the same. Abilene is no El Dorado or Winfield, so MHS will have to revert to the mind-set it had when it played Salina South and Andale.
• Hays 52, Buhler 48 — This is the game of the night in Kansas, with Hays’ Alex Delton and Buhler’s Jace Williams trying to out-do each other.
• Augusta 21, Winfield 14 — From all reports, Winfield will still be without its top players who were suspended for the McPherson game. Even full speed, I’d go with Augusta.
• El Dorado 20, Circle 12 — The Wildcats aren’t good, but Circle is even worse. The teams have a combined one win, that by El Dorado.
• Wellington 32, Rose Hill 20 — Wellington has had a nice year so far.
• Last week — 3-0. Season — 19-4.
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Little River 35, Canton-Galva 26 — Little River’s supreme effort last week against Central Plains gives it the nod in the renewal of this old rivalry.
• Sedgwick 35, Inman 6 — It doesn’t get any easier for the Teutons.
• Remington 14, Moundridge 6— Hard to imagine the Wildcats winning since they're down to their third-string quarterback.
• Smoky Valley 28, Nickerson 13 — The Vikings get back on track.
• Hesston 42, Hillsboro 7 — The Swather juggernaut keeps on rolling.
• Last week — 5-1. Season — 28-5.
• KCAC •
• Saint Mary 38, McPherson College 28 — The Bulldogs are simply too beat up to beat anybody right now.
• Bethany 56, Kansas Wesleyan 41 — This should be a wildly entertaining game.
• Southwestern 21, Bethel 14 — The Builders notch their second win of the year.
• Ottawa 41, Sterling 39 — Another game where the team with the ball last may win.
• Tabor 27, Friends 24 — As impressed as I was with Friends last week, the Falcons haven’t proven they can beat one of the KCAC’s elite teams yet.
• Last week — 5-0. Season — 26-11.