Fearless Forecaster can never be accused of being a homer.
FF went 11-4 in last week’s games, with one of the misses being McPherson College’s 24-9 victory over Saint Mary.
When you’re down to your fourth-string quarterback, fourth-string running back and missing your All-American linebacker, you can’t like your chances. However, the Bulldogs’ defense swelled up and stuffed the Spires, while converted wide receiver Kelly Cordova ran the offense just as Pop Warner invented it.
The KCAC lit up Fearless last week. He also missed on Friends knocking off nationally ranked Tabor in Hillsboro, as well as Bethel toppling Southwestern. Completing his misfires was Buhler’s stunning 55-21 rout of Hays. It wasn’t a total surprise that Buhler won, but the manner in which it did as it buried the Indians under nearly 600 yards of total offense.
The 11-4 week stalled some of Fearless’ recent momentum as he’s now 84-24 on the year.
• AVCTL DIVISION III •
• Buhler 38, McPherson 21 — The Bullpups will be sky high for this game, but they’ll have no answer for Jace Williams, probably the No. 1 junior in the state. He’s been going for 200 to 300 yards a game on the ground.
• Coffeyville 28, Augusta 14 — The ‘Ville is only 3-4 on the year, but still dangerous. It played Buhler for the state title last year.
• Topeka Hayden 49, El Dorado 7 — El Dorado actually won its first district game last week, but it’s buzzsaw time.
• Independence 20, Winfield 14 — I don’t know the status of Winfield’s suspended players, but I was told they’d be back this week. The Vikings probably are favored, but call this one a sentimental pick since the Bulldogs are my alma mater.
• Ulysses 31, Rose Hill 14 — The only good thing for Rose Hill is that it doesn’t have to make the unbearable trip nearly to Colorado. Maybe Ulysses should join a league in that state. Why do I have a sinking feeling we’ll be making that trip ourselves for sub-state basketball in March?
• Last week — 4-1. Season — 23-5.
• McPHERSON AREA •
• Canton-Galva 42, Goessel 24 — The Eagles put themselves in position for a winning season.
• Troy 34, Inman 7 — Just one of those years to forget for the Teutons.
• Wamego 28, Smoky Valley 13 — The Vikings’ playoff hopes will come down to their final game against Chapman.
• Hesston 45, Council Grove 21 — The Swathers get a push but stay unbeaten.
• Little River 36, Ellinwood 14 — The last game of the season at Solomon will determine the Redskins’ fate.
• Sacred Heart 21, Moundridge 7 — The Wildcats are running out of bodies.
• Last week — 5-0. Season — 33-5.
• KCAC •
• Tabor 41, McPherson College 20 — The Bulldogs were terrific last week, but this is a Tabor team that must win out.
• Friends 34, Bethany 31 — The Swedes are a team nobody wants to play right now. From all reports from my insiders, they have the most gifted athletes in the conference.
• Sterling 28, Saint Mary 7 — I was expecting more from Saint Mary last week. Sterling is like Tabor in that it needs to win out.
• Ottawa 45, Southwestern 14 — What is going on at Southwestern? Other than its aberration against Tabor, the Moundbuilders have been the KCAC’s biggest disappointment.
• Bethel 27, Kansas Wesleyan 24 — When I saw Bethel, I thought it wouldn’t win another game after beating McPherson College, as the Bulldogs were awful that game and still almost won. But Wesleyan has gone in the tank, especially defensively.
• Last week — 2-3. Season — 29-13.