It may be the apex of the winter sports season, but spring is just around the corner.
Once again this year, McPherson High School will be having a “Parents Practice Day,” where parents can attend and take part in numerous activities.
The date this year is March 23. Parents will be on hand for a team preview, parent meeting and fun interactive activities that showcase a little of what each sport is about and what it takes to be a participant.
• Baseball: Families of baseball players are invited from 4-6 p.m. at Grant Complex. At the field, parents will have opportunity to watch the boys practice and then be invited to participate in some drills. Don't miss the final "team" competition for the players. Following practice, seniors will draw for the winners of the "Opportunity to Win" fundraiser and there will be a team cookout around 6:30 p.m.
• Golf: Parents of golfers are invited to Turkey Creek Golf Course at 5:30 p.m. Coaches will introduce themselves and talk about the expectations of the MHS golf program. Following the coaches presentation, parents will be given the opportunity to take a short rules test developed by the KSHSAA, and have fun with their kids by challenging them in some putting and chipping games on the practice green. Bring your clubs.
• Girls Soccer: Parents of girls soccer players are invited to the soccer practice field at MHS at 5:30 p.m. The soccer coaching staff will conduct a parent meeting to discuss team information and expectations. Following the meeting, parents will have the opportunity to take on their daughters on the field in a PK shootout. Break out those old soccer shoes.
• Softball: Parents of softball players are invited to Grant Sports Complex at 5:30 p.m. At the field parents will have the opportunity to watch the girls practice, and then be invited to participate in the pregame warm-up on the field by fielding some grounders, pop-flys or line-drives. Or take a swing in the cage to see if you have the stuff your girls are made of. Bring your glove and borrow a bat if you feel you can take the heat. Following the activities, the coaching staff invites you to join them in the commons area at EES for pizza and pop as the seniors will conduct a short parent meeting. We hope you can attend the whole family is welcome.
• Girls Swimming: Parents of girls on the swim team are invited to observe practice from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the McPherson YMCA. There will be a practice swim meet where all athletes will compete in their top three individual events. Parents will be helping time their swimmer's races where the results will then be used as "Practice Records" for the girls to try and break throughout the season.
• Boys Tennis: Parents of the boys tennis team are invited to the MHS Tennis Courts at 5:30 p.m., to enjoy hot dogs and hamburgers with the team and play some doubles tennis with their kids. Bring your racquets. The coaches will also conduct a short parent meeting.
• Track: Parents of track athletes are invited to McPherson Stadium at 3:45 p.m. The coaching staff will conduct a mock track meet in which athletes will compete in their top event. Parents will be involved with timing/measuring the events and those results will be used to set a standard for 2014 PR’s of participants! On Tuesday, March 24, a parent meeting will be held in the theater at MHS at 6:30 p.m.