Parents of McPherson High spring sports athletes have a chance to watch their kids up close and personal on Monday.
It’s the annual Parents Practice Day, where parents can take part of the actual activity their kids are involved in.
Parents who attend will be informed about what is expected from their student-athlete and then join the fun.
• Baseball: This will be at Grant Complex from 4 to 6 p.m. At the field, parents will have the opportunity to watch the boys practice and then be invited to participate in some baseball drills. Don't miss the final "team" competition for the players. Following practice, seniors will draw for winners of the "Opportunity to Win" fundraiser and there will be a team cookout around 6:30 p.m.
• Golf:Parents should be at Turkey Creek at 5:30. Coaches will introduce themselves and talk about the expectations of the MHS golf program. Following the coaches presentation, parents will be given the opportunity to take a short rules test developed by KSHSAA, and have fun with their kids by challenging them in some putting and chipping games on the practice green. Parents should bring their clubs.
• Girls Soccer: Be at the MHS practice field at 5:30 p.m. The soccer coaching staff will conduct a parent meeting to discuss team information and expectations. Following the meeting, parents will have the opportunity to take on their daughters on the field in a PK shootout.
• Softball: Parents should be at Grant Complex at 5:30 p.m. Watch the girls practice and then be invited to participate in the pre-game warm-up on the field by fielding some grounders, pop-flies or line-drives. Or take a swing in the cage to see if you have the stuff your girls are made of. Bring your glove and borrow a bat. Following the activities, the coaching staff invites you to join them in the commons area at Eisenhower Elementary for pizza and pop as the seniors will conduct a short parent meeting. The entire family is welcome.
• Girls Swimming: Parents of girls on the swim team are invited to observe practice from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the McPherson YMCA. There will be a practice swim meet where all athletes will compete in their top three individual events. Parents will be helping time their swimmer's races where the results will then be used as "Practice Records" for the girls to try and break throughout the season.
• Boys Tennis: Parents are invited to the MHS Tennis Courts at 5:30 p.m. to enjoy hot dogs and hamburgers with the team and play some doubles tennis with their kids. Bring your racquets. The coaches will also conduct a short parent meeting.
• Track: Parents of track athletes are invited to McPherson Stadium at 3:45 p.m. The coaching staff will conduct a mock track meet in which athletes will compete in their top event. Parents will be involved with timing and measuring the events and those results will be used to set a standard for 2014 PR’s of participants. On Tuesday, March 24, a parent meeting will be held in the theater at MHS at 6:30 p.m.
Those needing more information can contact Shane Backhus at 241-9510.