LINDSBORG — Winners and STILL the KCAC champion.
Bethany College’s men’s tennis team overcame a 2-1 deficit after doubles to win five of six singles matches for a 6-3 victory over McPherson College in a showdown of teams that entered Tuesday undefeated in the KCAC.
It was the 12th straight year for the Swedes to win the title, with the Bulldogs their chief rival in the last few years.
“I am very proud of our guys this year,” Swede coach Tony Swiantek said. “They stepped up in big matches and locked up the 12th conference title in a row.”
Manuel Raga and Michiel Van Den Bogaert won at No. 1 doubles for the Swedes’ lone point in that division, but then BC dominated the singles matches.
Bethany and Mac both will compete in the KCAC Championships this weekend in Wichita, where they are expected to meet again in the finals.
• Singles •
1. Manuel Raga (BC) def. Joan-Marc Fajula Rodriguez (MC) 6-4, 6-7 (1-7), 6-1
2. Juan Mateus (BC) def. Ahmed Lahlou (MC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Michiel Van Den Bogaert (BC) def. Hector Carrillo Perales (MC) 6-0, 7-5
4. Hugo Ball-Greene (MC) def. Dujoh Ollivierre (BC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Bruno Campos (BC) def. Pablo Garcia (MC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Guillermo Caro (BC) def. Jose Maria Carrillo Reina (MC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
• Doubles •
1. M. Raga/M. Van Den Bogaert (BC) def. JM F. Rodriguez/A. Lahlou (MC) 8-5
2. H. C. Perales/JM C. Reina (MC) def. J. Mateus/B. Campos (BC) 8-6
3. H. Ball-Greene/Allen Darmawan (MC) def. D. Ollivierre/G. Caro (BC) 8-6