DERBY — The McPherson Aqua Pups dove into the pool for the first time this summer by competing in the Wichita Aqua Shocks’ “Summer Sizzler” this past weekend.
The Aqua Pups took a 17-member team to the meet.
“Being the first meet for most of these kids back in the big pool, there were a lot of really nice time drops, which is to be expected with entry times from last summer, but I was really pleased with the way they competed,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “The conditions were certainly plenty warm, but it didn't slow them down one bit.”
Here are the highlights as posted by Banman.
• Special congrats to Caly Williams for swimming in her first-ever meet.
• Ethan Burger maintained his District level time in the 100 breast at 1:37.01, and placed 4th.
• Rachel Fischer earned her first-ever Championship qualifier, as well as the 1st-place finish with a time of 50.54 in the 50 breast.
• William Powers reached three championship level times, the 100 back (1:07.31), 200 IM (2:34.11), and 50 free (25.85), with top finishes of second on both the 50 free and 100 back.
• Matthew Powers swam his first meet in the senior/15 + age group, and in starting from scratch hit the District qualifiers in 200 IM (2:41.08), 100 breast (1:27.17) and 50 free (28.16).
• Kierstan Trost improved her District times on 100 back (1:22.93) and 50 free (32.73).
• Rhys Vanderhoof hit the District level on 100 back (1:19.31) and improved his District time on 50 free to 28.89.
• Clarea Williams notched her first District time of the season in the 50 freestyle at 39.54 and taking 2nd. She also finished 3rd in the 50 breast.
• Relay Notes •
• The 15-and-over boys team of Matthew Powers, Rhys Vanderhoof, Riley Shelton and William Powers (of which William is the only one from last year's 15+ relay), is already closing in on the Championship qualifier at a time of 1:55.28. They placed 4th in the 200 free relay.
• The 12-and-under girls team of Clarea Williams, Adyson Wiens, Rachel Fischer and Bree Pickerell took 11th at 3:10.43.
The Pups head to Manhattan this weekend for the Little Apple Invitational, then are home on Tuesday to take on Salina and Hutchinson. The Pups are hosting three tri-meets this summer.