The McPherson Aqua Pups hosted their first-ever invitational meet over the weekend at the McPherson Water Park and coach Kyle Banman said it was one to remember.
“We received a ton of positive feedback,” Banman said. “The visiting coaches and parents that I talked to were very impressed with how things ran, the facility and our town in general. Though we didn’t have a huge number of swimmers overall attend, and yes, the events did run fast, I really believe that that will be a non-issue next summer, because word will get around.”
Teams competing were the Salina Aquatics Club, Hutchinson YMCA Swim Club, Swim Newton, Wichita Aqua Shocks, Andover YMCA Allstars, Wichita Northwest YMCA Neptunes, Ponca City Sailfish, Kansas City Blue Wave and Riptide Aquatics (another KC area club).
Here is Banman’s summary of results:
“Special congrats to Mayson Wiens for competing in her first-ever meet. She took on the 50 Fly and placed 2nd in the 8 and under girls group.,” he said.
• Qualifiers and such •
• Cody Achilles picked up District cuts on 50 Free and 100 Free, and went 6 for 6 on best times in his events.
• Ethan Burger picked up his first District cut in the 15-and-over age group, with a 1.98 drop on the 100 Breast.
• Maya Charlesworth added the 100 Free District qualifier to her collection with a 2.6 drop.
• Eli Farley hit the Champ Bonus cut in 100 Free with a 3.33 drop, good for 2nd place. He also won the 11-12 boys 50 Back and placed 3rd on the 50 Breast.
• Hayden Farley improved his 100 Breast District time by 3.3, and took 2nd place in his age group.
• Danae Paine earned her first-ever District time in her first time swimming the 100 Breast. She finished with a quartet of 2nd-place finishes in the 9-10 girls group - 50 Back, 50 Free, 50 Fly and 100 Breast.
• Matt Powers added the 100 Free to his District collection with a 3.71 drop.
• Will Powers picked up the Champ Bonus cut on the 400 IM and the Champ qualifier on 200 Back with a 10.56 drop. He won 5 of his 6 events.
• Silas Steinert hit the Champ Bonus cut on 50 Free with a .53 drop, and took 2nd on both that race and the 100 Back.
• Rhys Vanderhoof hit the District time on 200 IM with a 1.71 cut. He also won the 15-and-over boys 100 Fly, and took 2nd on 400 IM and 800 Free.
• Top Times, Cuts and Finishes •
• Brayden Beckman too the top spot in all 4 of his 8-and-under boys events.
• Matthew Burger won the 9-10 boys 100 Back, and placed 2nd on 50 Back, 100 Free and 50 Free.
• Jordan Dammann took 10.58 off his 100 Free and had a top finish of 4th on the 13-14 boys 100 Back.
• McKenzie Dammann cut a whopping 44.62 off her 100 Free and had a top finish of 3rd in the 9-10 girls 50 Back.
• Karly Durr took 26.44 off her 50 Breast and placed 5th in her age group.
• Logan Ediger went 3-for-3 on best times with 3.04 off in the 200 Free.
• Hayden Eveland had a top finish of 5th on 9-10 girls 50 Back.
• Riley Gard went 3-for-3 on best times, taking the 9-10 girls 2nd place finish on 200 Free, and 3rd on 50 Free and 50 Fly.
• Taylor Hafenstine went 4-for-4 on best times in her events, taking a pair of 4th place finishes in the 9-10 girls 50 and 100 Breast.
• Gracy Hubbard cut a solid 5.84 off her 100 Free.
• Quinn Liebl went 4-for-4 on best times, and had a trio of 4th place finishes on the 8 and under girls 50 and 100 Free, and 50 Fly.
• Luke Lockhart had a huge 10.02 drop on his 50 Breast, and had a pair of 11-12 boys 4th place finishes on 50 and 100 Fly. Maybe an Aqua Pups first in that he swam the individual 100 Fly before swimming the 50 Fly.
• Pollux Morris dropped a quite nice 6.62 on his 50 back and took 3rd place in the 9-10 boys 100 Free.
• Bennett Rank had a top finish of 3rd in the 9-10 boys 100 Breast, his first time ever swimming the event.
• Layla Rank had a massive 11.86 drop on her 50 Back and a top finish of 6th on 50 Fly.
• Brinnley Robinson won the 9-10 girls 100 Back. She also cut 7.45 on her 50 Free, which was good for 6th place.
• Claire Schmidt cut about a second off her 50 Back time to go sub-50 for the first time.
• Jentry Sears cut a whopping 24.08 off her 100 Free and had a top finish of 6th on the 100 Breast.
• Taylin Thompson took 2nd on the 8-and-under girls 100 Breast and she dropped 7.59 on her 50 Free.
• Taytum Thompson went 4-for-4 on best times, including a solid 9.38 cut on 50 Back. She had a pair 3rd-place finishes on 50 and 100 Breast for her top spots.
• Jordan Vanderhoof cut a massive 14.74 on her 200 Free. She had a top finish of 5th on her 200 Breast, which was her first time competing in the event.
• Tyler Vincent went 3-for-3 on best times, including a solid 8.97 drop on 100 Breast.
• Cali Whitenack had a top finish of 4th in the 9-10 girls 50 Back and 5th on 50 Fly in her first time competing the vent.
• Adyson Wiens cut a massive 16.97 off her 100 Back and in just being a week removed from her first time swimming the race, took 4.96 off her 200 IM, which was good for a top finish of 4th. She also had a 4th place finish in the 11-12 girls 50 Fly.
• Caly Williams went 6-for-6 on best times, including double digit drops on 50 Back and 100 Free. She had a pair of 7th-place finishes in the 11-12 girls 50 Fly and 100 Breast.
• Clarea Williams tackled the 200 IM and 200 Free for the first time, taking 2nd in the 11-12 girls group on the IM. She also had a pair of 3rd-place finishes in 50 and 100 Breast.
• Payton Wilson had a top finish of 2nd in the 8-and-under girls 50 Breast, she also took 3rd in the 100 Free.
•Hazel Wuertz had a pair of 6.5ish cuts in 100 Free and 100 Back. She also had a top finish of 4th in the 11-12 girls 100 Back.